The AR-15 has become one of the most popular firearms among American gun owners and for good reason. Due to its lightweight frame, high level of accuracy and versatility, the weapons system is a testament how innovation can transform an older design. For years now, firearms accessory manufacturers have been turning out various parts for the AR-15. While many still prefer to buy pre-built firearms, many others enjoy shopping around for the coolest and best parts on the market and create something special and tailored for them. One of the fundamental elements of the build starts with an upper receiver.
AR-15 Upper Receivers
When it comes to buying an AR-15 upper receiver, there are a number of options one can take. First, you have to decide whether or not you want to go with a forged option of billet. Forged receivers are stronger pound for pound compared to billet ones, but they lack some of the finer details and aesthetics that some people like to have.
The other option, at least when it comes to our list, is whether or not you want just an upper receiver by itself or one that comes with a barrel, gas block and gas tube. For companies like Bravo Company USA, some of their prebuilt uppers do come with a rail system. So all you have to do is get a bolt carrier group and charging handle and you’d be good to go. This is sometimes the most cost-effective option to go with because it makes the assembly process easy.
Best AR-15 Upper Receivers
||Top Selling AR-15 Upper Receivers
||BCM M4 Upper Receiver Assembly
||Aero Precision AR15 M4E1 Threaded Assembled Upper
||Rainier Arms Mountain - Stripped Upper Receiver
||Rainier Arms Forged A4 Upper Receiver- GEN2
||Noveske Stripped Upper Receiver w/M4 Feed Ramps
||Rainier Arms Forged Mil-Spec Upper Minus FA
||BCM AR-15 Upper Receiver BFH 11.5" Carbine MCMR-10
||Aero Precision AR15 Stripped Upper Receiver Black
||Quarter Circle 10 Side Charging Stripped Upper
||Hera Arms HCU AR-15 Billet Upper - Minus Forward Assist
2019 Product Review: Top-Selling AR15 Uppers
1. BCM M4 Upper Receiver Assembly
Built to the correct Mil-Specs
Precision machined to correct Mil-Specs from 7075 T6 Forgings extension, providing the user with superior strength when dropped or when mortaring malfunction clearance drills.
• Fully Assembled with forwarding assist and ejection port cover
• Mil-Std 1913 Rail for mounting optics and accessories
• Machined for use with barrels that use an M4 barrel extension
• Laser etched T-markings for addressing the remounting of optics
• Includes Mil-Spec Forward Assist with heat-treated tool steel pawl, with press fit and pinned cap
• Hard Coat Anodized per Mil-A-8625F, Type III, Class2
• Dry Film Lube on interior bore per Mil-Specs
• As with all BCM® products, Made in the U.S.A.
2. Aero Precision AR15 M4E1 Threaded Assembled Upper
The AR15 Gen 2 Upper Receiver features a new angular machined design that helps it stand apart from standard mil-spec upper receivers. This upper receiver features the same enhanced body profile as our M4E1 Upper Receiver but is threaded to accept a standard AR15 barrel nut. It is forged from 7075-T6 Aluminum, precision machined to work with all mil-spec AR15 parts and includes the port door and forward assist pre-installed. Get the billet to look without paying the billet price!
• New enhanced forging that gives the upper receiver a "billet look"
• New Picatinny profile that blends seamlessly with our Enhanced Series Handguards
• M4 Feedramps
• .250 takedown pin holes
• Laser engraved T-marks
• Includes port door and forward assist
• Machined from 7075-T6 forged aluminum
• Works with standard AR15/M16 components
• Weight 10.24oz
• AR15 Assembled Upper Receiver, Gen 2 in Anodized Black
• Port Door and Forward Assist installed
3. AR-15 Bolt Carrier Group - Nitride
Our Rainier Arms Mountain Series upper receiver group was designed for the enthusiast that's looking for a solid foundation for their next upper build using our 1:7 twist Mountain series barrel, our Mil-Spec upper receiver group and Lo-Profile gas block. The rest is entirely up to the customer and can be easily built out.
• Barrel Material: Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel
• Made of Mil Spec M249 Machine Gun barrel steel, with heavy M249 Chrome Lining, (appx. 2 times as thick as an M4 or M16)
• Barrel Type: Cold Hammer Forged
• Barrel Caliber: 5.56mm NATO Barrel
• Barrel Length: 14.5 Mid Gas, 16 Mid Gas, or 18 Rifle Gas
• Barrel Profile: Modified Mid Weight Government Profile
• Twist Rate: 1:7
• Muzzle Thread: 1/2A~—28 TPI (Threads Per Inch)
• Diameter At Gas Block: .750
• Bore: Chrome Lined
• Chamber: 5.56mm NATO
• Rainier Arms Mountain Mid Weight Series 1:7 Twist
• Rainier Arms Match Lo Pro gas block
• Rainier Arms Forged Mil-spec Upper Receiver with UPK
• Rainier Arms Barrel nut
• Gas tube
4. Rainier Arms Forged A4 Upper Receiver- GEN2
Rainier Arms Forged Upper was designed to fit our forged lower receivers with color, texture, & machining. These uppers are "T - marked" engraved and have extended M4 feed ramps.
Gen 2 Uppers are deep black finish and match well with RA lowers and ZEV lowers
5. Noveske Stripped Upper Receiver w/M4 Feed Ramps
• Extended M4 Feed Ramps
• Mil-Std 1913 top rail
• Compatible with all Mil-Spec AR-15 parts and accessories
• Iron Noveske Cross engraving on top
• Material: 7075-T6 Forged Aluminum
• Finish: Hard Coat Type III Anodizing
• Weight: 7.02 oz.
In the end, there are many options to choose from when it comes to uppers receivers. For those of you that are building your rifles up from scratch, what you choose will depend on what sort of look you want and what the purpose of the rifle will be. No matter what though, you pick any of these options on this list and you will not be disappointed.