The Handl Defense SCAR Advanced Fore Rail Assembly for the SCAR16, SCAR 17S, and Mk.17 is another public release from the Mk.17/ Mk.20 Improvement Program. Originally designed for USSOCOM, the Handl Defense SCAR Advanced Fore Rail Assembly utilizes the Magpul M-Lok system to provide a more diverse range of mounting points. The design rapidly dissipates heat, allows for better salt water drainage, and improves ergonomics. It improves system performance and retains the SCAR quick change barrel system.
The Handl Defense SCAR Advanced Fore Rail Assembly provides the end user with more options for mounting accessories, while improving ergonomics. It was designed with a different profile in order to allow the user a better hand index. The mounting locations run the full length of the system, to include mount points at the 2 and 10 o’clock positions. The Handl Defense SCAR Advanced Fore Rail system is designed to work with all Mk.17 accessories and exceed the standards outlined in the Mk. 17 CAR-H Spec Sheet of 2011.
Another concern was heat from the enclosed OEM rail system. Members of USSOCOM reported that the OEM rail could easily burn an ungloved hand after sustained rates of full auto fire. The Handl Defense SCAR Advanced Fore Rail allows the SCAR rifle to radically increase heat evacuation from around the trunnion, chamber, and barrel. Handl Defense SCAR Advanced Fore Rail equipped SCAR rifles well exceeded the cook off standards for the CAR-H Spec Sheet.
The Handl Defense Advanced Fore Rail Assembly is constructed out of carbon fiber to decrease weight while maintaining the effective strength of 6061-T6 aluminum. The 3k 2×2 twill is capable of sustaining high amounts of lateral flex and torsional loads. The assembly exceeds the structural requirements outlined in the CAR-H Spec Sheet of 2011.
The Handl Defense Advanced Fore Rail Assembly is designed to use the Magpul M-LOK system. The user can install any M-LOK interface to attach a wide variety of accessories on the market.
Members of USSOCOM reported that the FN SCAR rifle needed better ergonomics, better heat mitigation, and more MIL-STD 1913 rail space. We took the feedback from the field, combined it with our knowledge of small arms, use of advanced materials, and developed an unmatched fore rail system for the SCAR platform.
Carbon Fiber Specs:
- 3k 2×2 twill to provide protection against abrasion.
- The internal plies consist of a proprietary lay-up to achieve optimal performance.
- The Handl Defense SCAR Advanced Hand Rail utilizes a toughened epoxy resin system that is optimized for the most critical aesthetic requirements. This thermoset resin, in combination with carbon reinforcement, provides a robust platform that has excellent mechanical properties, chemical resistance, thermal stability, and overall durability.
- When using this hand guard over a suppressor or high heat areas, the material will maintain a longer operating time for the shooter than compared to an aluminum counterpart.
- Thermoset Resin: This resin will not “melt”. The burn off point is over 1000 degrees Fahrenheit . The Handl Defense SCAR Advanced Fore Rail will maintain structural integrity under any feasible condition.