FN SCAR Pistol - Big Legacy, Small Gun | Meet the SCAR 15P
We know your reaction to this will depend on how you feel about the SCAR. Some people dig SCARs (not just chicks), some think the entire weapon system is overrated, and some just want FN to bring back the Right Arm of the Free World (which for the record we agree with). Regardless, for those of you who are interested - meet the FN SCAR Pistol (or SCAR 15P).
.If you're okay with SCARs, sling tension shooting, and the FN SCAR-SC, chances are you'll be interested in the SCAR 15P. If not...why are you still reading?
Here are a few things to know about the SCAR 15P.
15P SCAR Pistol
1. It's little. The rifle-caliber pistol is 20 inches long and dresses out at 5.65 pounds. And while it's somewhat disappointing they didn't trim 0.09 pounds off that weight, you can't have everything.
.2. It is chambered in 5.56 NATO and can be fed with any AR-pattern magazine.
.3. It's centered around a chrome-lined, 7.5-inch cold hammer-forged barrel. This isn't the 10-inch barrel some people would have preferred, but you can always look at the barrel assembly from a 16S as an option if you're willing to do a little extra work.
The heart of the 15P SCAR Pistol is a free-floated 7.5" chrome-lined CHF barrel.
4. The receiver is machined from aluminum and has all kinds of Pic rail space. A stretch of M1913 Picatinny rail at 12 0'clock runs the length of the receiver topside, providing ample real estate for a red dot sight (RDS), BUIS, and - if you want to give people Forest Whitaker eye - an RDS magnifier. Three additional side rails (3, 6, and 9 o'clock placement, respectively) for a light, light/laser combo, foregrip, or other furniture.
.5. There's another Pic rail positioned vertically as the rear end of the weapon. This vertical Picatinny rail (VPR, because of acronyms) has a quick-detach sling attachment for single-point slings. This will allow you to channel your inner Cold War commando and stabilize the weapon.
Shooting the SCAR pistol - conspicuously without a pistol brace. We'll be seeing more of that.
6. The SCAR pistol's trigger module/lower receiver is identical to the 16S, with an ambidextrous selector and mag release. There is substantial parts commonality between the 15P and the 16S..
.7. As with its predecessors, the SCAR pistol utilizes a short-stroke gas piston system with an adjustable low-flash gas regulator. The latter, paired with a three-prong muzzle device, is intended to reduce muzzle flash..
.8. The charging handle is non-reciprocating and reversible with a redesigned bolt carrier and charging handle sled. You can run the charging handle in a low-profile configuration or switch to a 30-degree offset that allows for low-mount optics. In the latter configuration, it will serve as a hand stop as well. .
.9. SCAR P's are available in virtually any color you want as long as you're okay with FDE, black, or sending it off for a custom gun Cerakote job.
SCAR 15P Specs
• Caliber: 5.56x45mm
• Operation: Short-stroke gas pistol
• Mag Capacity: 10 or 30-round
• Weight: 5.65 lb.
• Barrel length: 7.5 in.
• Overall length: 19.75 in.
• Non-reciprocating bolt carrier assembly enables all shooting positions, charging handles double as hand stops
• Premium, zippered case for discreet transport
• Short-stroke gas piston
• Hard-anodized monolithic aluminum
• MIL-STD-1913 accessory rails at 4 positions
• Vertical Picatinny rail with sling QD cup
• 7.5” hammer-forged, chrome-lined, free-floating, with 3-prong flash hider
• Dual, ambidextrous charging handles remain static under fire, user-swappable left/right
• Ambidextrous safety lever and magazine release
• Steel body, low friction follower
• One 30-rd or one 10-rd magazine included